Pineapple tarts are a popular delicacy in Singapore that is most often served during special celebrations, such as Chinese New Year and Hari Raya. Pineapple tarts are small, bite-sized tarts topped or filled with flavourful pineapple jam. They are considered a perfect snack by many Singaporeans due to their deliciously sweet and tangy taste that complements well with their melt-in-the-mouth texture.
However, just like any other food, pineapple tarts are susceptible to spoilage and other issues, especially if not prepared or stored properly. One of the most common issues that you may encounter in making and storing pineapple tarts is the eventual growth of mould in or on them. To find out more about this problem, read on as this article tackles the most common reason why pineapple tarts sometimes turn mouldy and what could possibly happen if you accidentally consume pineapple tarts with mould.
Why Do Some Pineapple Tarts Turn Mouldy?
Incorrect preparation and storage are the most common culprits behind mouldy pineapple tarts. If your pineapple jam is not dry enough, it can cause your pineapple tarts to become mouldy quite quickly since mould tends to grow in food with a high-water content. Therefore, to prevent mould from growing on your pineapple tarts, make sure your pineapple jam is cooked to perfection, with no more presence of liquid.
A great indication that the jam is ready is when it becomes stickier, and its colour turns into a golden-brown hue. This is indicative that the liquid has fully evaporated, and the sugar has begun to caramelise.
Aside from cooking your pineapple jam right, it is also important to ensure the proper storage of your pineapple tarts. As much as possible, use a PET round container when storing your tarts to prevent moisture from entering therein and causing the formation of mould. Fortunately, finding an appropriate pineapple tart container is simple, given that they are widely available in the country.
What Happens If You Eat Mouldy Pineapple Tarts?
Upon realising that you accidentally ate mould, your very first instinct is probably to run to the bathroom and scrub your tongue with a bar of soap. While an anxious reaction is normal, there is actually not much reason for you to panic. According to health experts, you are not likely to die from eating mould. As a matter of fact, as long as your immune system is in good shape, your body will be able to digest mould like any other food.
Most of the time, people who become sick after accidentally eating mould only feel so because the mould tastes bad, not because of any specific toxin in it. The exception is if the mould you accidentally ate produces a specific type of toxin called ‘mycotoxins,’ which is usually found in nut crops, grains, and fruits like pineapples. While minute amounts of mycotoxins are not likely to make you sick, they can accumulate in your kidneys and liver and cause health issues in the long run. Thus, it is often best to consult with a doctor after accidentally eating mouldy pineapple tarts.
Moulds in or on pineapple tarts are ordinarily caused by improper preparation and storage. Although consuming mould is not likely to get you super sick, it is highly advisable to seek medical attention after accidentally eating mouldy pineapple tarts to avoid serious long-term effects on your health. To prevent mould from ruining your delicious pineapple tarts and posing a potential risk to your health, be sure to invest in high-quality containers that are suitable for storing these classic treats.
If you are looking for the most excellent and reliable Singapore pineapple tart container, look no further than at Supply Smiths! As a leading supplier in town, we offer an extensive array of premium food packaging and storage solutions, ranging from plastic containers and paper bowls to standing zipper pouches and pineapple tart and cookie containers. All our products are made from top-grade materials, so you can ensure their safety and effectiveness when it comes to food storage.
Please do not hesitate to browse our complete collection or reach out to us today to learn more about our amazing offers.